Tuesday 19 June 2012

Fathers Day Grosbeaks

Up bright an early after a long day yesterday, my darling wife baked me Blueberry muffins for Fathers day, they were yummy. Off to find an odd bird today, it is a hybrid between a Blackheaded Grosbeak and a Rose Breasted Grosbeak, it had been spotted on ost of the walks this week, so confidence was high.  We found the singing rascal pretty much where he had been spotted most of the week. Here is his with not only a mouthful, but a bulging crop.
Here he is from the underside. They get the orange from the Blackheaded side of the family.
And this is what a typical Rose Breasted Grosbeak looks like. The chest patch is very "Rosie"!

As we continued on passed the "best part of the day" we ran into a lot of other great birds.  Here is my first shot of a Warbling Vireo.
We managed to catch a look at this Phoebe.
I thought I'd try and grab a shot of this butterfly.
We headed over to a large seting area where many species of bird are found. we didn't get to see a Baltimore Oriole, but we did glimpse a humminbird. But this male Nuthatch made several trips into the feeder.
First one, then two, then three least Chipmunks dropped by for a visit.
There were several Cowbirds flying in and out.
I just missed getting this guy in full sun, you can see a little on his back.
I'm not a big fan of squirrels, but I have to throw a shot or two in every now and then.
And what would Father's day be without a few flowers?
I hope everyone had a GREAT Father's Day. I know that I did. After the walk Jamie wanted to head out and see if we could put the blind to use and get a water bird or two. We'll have to see what we can dig up for the boy:)

Turbo










No comments:

Post a Comment