Wednesday 15 February 2012

Pileated Woodpeckers!

Thursday morning I headed over to Quesnel B.C. to hook up with some buddies for a little fishing and relaxation (some folks think those two things are the same). It's an 11 hour drive so I headed out from Calgary @ 7:00 a.m. I was hoping to get some shots of a Pileated Woodpecker and maybe a Stellar's Jay or two. I took this shot of a mature Baldy, there was a second mature eagle there but I couldn't get the two of them together. This was just outside of Cache Creek.
I was hung up for an hour, just outside of McLeese Lake, due to a major accident on the highway, so I was an hour late getting to Ken's place.
Thursday was a GREAT day of fishing with super results when searching for the Eastern Brook Trout:
The balance of the fishing was disappointing but well worth the effort. We always try one new lake every year that I get over, and this was no exception. Alas, all we caught were pikeminnow's, a coarse fish known for years as a more politically incorrect name. But the highlight was having Jim's young lad along for his first fish through the ice. Lief (sp?) quickly got the hang of the light biting minnows and would have filled a bucket:)
Monday morning had us out to a usually productive spot for rainbows, but no luck, I did however get to snag a couple (literally) of Pileated shots:
An a couple of flying shots Male:
Now for the female:
Sorry for the long post, but this one covered an entire weekend, with a couple of days tacked on to each end!
The drive home was uneventful and smooth. Never did get any Stellar's Jay shots though, maybe next time.
Have a GREAT week!
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment