Monday 17 December 2012

Snowy Owls, Redpolls, Buntrings on a Clear, Snowy day! (121215)

Zel and Jamie arrived promptly at 7:15 this morning and I got loaded up. Off to Rotten Ronnie's for some breakfast and we are on the road, well that was the plan. Micky D's only took 350 minutes to get our sandwiches to us. So we were a little delayed, and as was discussed a little later in the day, perhaps it was meant to happen. We grabbed our first Snowy of the morning very skitish bird ( I believe it is the same bird Dan and I saw three weeks ago) shot this just as the sun was coming up at 8:30


Then Shortly after Sun up, with the frost sparkling, we couldn't resist stopping for this old building.

We went around the corner and flushed a covey of  Sharpies, with more buildings, the landscape guys were busy clicking away.

Just 5 minutes down the road we found this Snowy and about 200 snow buntings.
A few skittish Snowy's later and we were finally able to find an approachable bird. This is a non cropped image. Have I mentioned how happy I have been with my new Sigma lens?  I love them.
It was about 10:30, and that meant that this last bird must have been number 5 on the day. As far as this next bird goes, I was fooled by a couple of horses that I thought might be moose. But the wild goose chase gave us number 6 on the day.
Did I mention that it was pretty chilly out there? -16C, -18C, with a 20 km "breeze" blowing. I have to say I was amazed at how the Frost was sticking and holding on to everything.  Here is a frost shot.
More Sharpies and a GHO were rounding the day out nicely. Of course this time of year we are sometimes blessed with these little redheads, the Redpolls.
Hey did I mention it was cool and Frosty?  I think that this is actually Snowy number 8 at 11:30 in the morning.What a day!!!
I think I might as well wrap up this post. All in all we found 10 different Snowys and one GHO, many, many other birds to keep us interested and sharp. To boot the day was beautiful and sunny, no excuses today to not  get great shots.  I hope you enjoy them as much as we did finding them.

Turbo



 

No comments:

Post a Comment