Tuesday 13 November 2012

Roughlegged Hawk, Bighorn Sheep on Rememberance Day (121111)

Inspite of being pretty sick, it is my annual commitment to spend at least part of Rememberance Day in the woods. In honour of the men and women that have served our country, and continue to serve, I choose to spend my time relishing this fabulous FREE country that we have to explore and adore!
Zel and I got a late start due to my feeling so poorly. 
After passing some ravens on fence posts, we breezed by another only to discover that the next wa a large bird of prey. I expect it was a Gyrafalcon, but have not yet had that confirmed.  The only image I have is a very long distance away, so I will not post it. I am certain you are starting to get tired of the Rough Legged Hawk shots, but when they cooperate like this I gotta post something, right?
It popped up on this post, and I think my winter camo allowed me to get close enough for this shot.
I was surprised by the lack of tracks and evidence of animals all around based upon the fresh snow.
We swung over to another area and pick up some Holy Sheep shot.
The landscapes didn't work out as we lost our sun, a real risk here in the great white north.

On the way home we found a grouping of birds on a carcass. We spotted two bald eagles, and the carcass appears to be the little 8 point buck that I took images of last week. It was in the middle of the field with antlers and ribs intact, so it died from something other than a hunter.
I am hoping that I feel better next weekend, it is getting to be Snowy Owl time:)
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment