Tuesday 6 November 2012

Rough Legged Hawk, Northern Shrike Sunday morning first anniversary (121104)

Well this signifies my first year of blogging. I have to say it has been a pleasure, and a lot more work than I thought it ever would take. I am astounded at how many different adventures I have been on. While things have slowed down a little lately, to think that this is my 166th post I am extremely pleased the end result.  I don't get many comments  or feedback here, but my buddies and family seem to enjoy the updates so I think I will likely continue.
This past Sunday morning Tim and I went looking for bucks. It wa a beautiful start to the day, bright and sunny, and warming up, but no critters. We found a few deer but they were all does. When you get a landscape guy in the vehicle, they always want to stop and shoot photos of things that don't move:)
We were finding Rough Legged Hawks everywhere. Here is a fine example.
More on these guys shortly. Tim had seen his first Northern Shrike last week, but didn't get any images. I was glad when we spied this fella, and were able to get a couple of quick snaps.
We wrapped up the morning with a couple more deer.
After gassing up the truck and dropping Tim off at his car, I went to wash the truck.  Just out behind the car wash was this Rough Legged Hawk, it was very intent on working over the field and paid little attention to me.  It wouldn't let me get close, but as long as I hung close to the edge of the building it would cruise over the grassland. I hope you enjoy this group of shots.
Here is a dive:
the dance:
A close up, with no crop:
It was a joy as I fired off over 200 shots, with a surprising number of accetable shots.
A swoop down to look at something in the grass.
It was a great 20 minutes.
I also managed a shot of this young Magpie.
I hope that you too have received some pleasure from the shots from my first year.  Have a great Wildlife week!
Turbo







No comments:

Post a Comment