Saturday 5 January 2013

Big Buck II Doesn't a great buck deserve a sequel? (130105)

I had some work done to my Carrying strap today, and I picked up a new ballhead for my tripod, so I wanted to "field test" the new contraptions. In order to test drive these items I headed down to FCPP, in search of the large Buck I found last weekend. First stop was a peek for a GHO or two, and found this pair.
While looking for the guy with the big head, I found a couple of our favourite little buddies.
The Chickadee and a Whitebreasted Nuthatch. they are all over this country. They offer their own challenges to get good shots, their flighty movements and small size.
Then after a about a half hour of prowling around, I found a little deer laying down and with a little scrutiny I found "big head". He too was laying down, and I tried to get closer, I spent about 30 minutes with him and the little buddy that he picked up last week.
Here is another shot of himas he walked amongst the Cottonwoods.
This front on shot of him feeding gives you a pretty good view of his little nubs at the base of his head dress.

His little buddy was a little more alert than this guy, and he always managed to stay between the of us. I stayed with them long enough for them to get comfortable again, they laid back down and and started chewing their cud.

So I backed out and left them be. On the way back home I made one last stop to see if I could find another GHO pair. I could only spot this unit.

While looking for the owls, I found this Hairy Woodpecker male.
That wrapped up today's tour. I am headed out with a new fellow, on the hunt for Snowy Owls and other birds and critters. Have a super day.
Turbo


No comments:

Post a Comment