Friday 5 July 2013

Glorious Canada Day! (20130701)

Jamie and I were discussing how we had been ignoring the South East, I was bemoaning the fact that I hadn't taken any shots of Yellow heads yet this year. So we thought we ought to head out at daybreak to see what we could find.
It was shaping up to be a great day, there were Cowbirds and Brewers Blackbirds everywhere.
Grabbed my first Alberta Phalarope shots of the year. these are great little water birds.
Another bird that I have been missing is the Earred Grebe, these are tough birds to capture with their bright eyes and orange eye ring.
We were hoping to possibly get some shots of Whitefaced Ibis or maybe a Black Crowned Night Heron. While we did see those birds, I was unable to be successful in getting a decent shot. This Western Meadowlark was very accommodating though, it popped up on this sign pretty close to the truck.
It has been awhile since I have seen I have seen a Hudsonian Godwit, I can tell that I have to come back with the blind and set up for some better shots.
During one of our walks we cam e upon this group of Yellowheads, the scene just screamed "shoot me!", so we did.
We spend a little time observing this Willet, he was really quite approachable, but he was on the wrong side of the road for a really good shot.
They are quite a striking bird in the air with their white and black wing patches.
And there were quite few Black Necked Stilts buzzing around and squawking.
Looks like an area that we will have to return to and do a little more serious time to get some better shots. We finished up in the heat of the day with nothing much moving so we headed home early. I hope everyone had a chance to get out and enjoy Canada Day with some wildlife!
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment