Wednesday 15 August 2012

Newf Moose 120811

Well you have to love the locals when after almost a week in Newfoundland and all you have seen are the painted versions of the populous mighty ungulate, the Moose.  We were out of the van looking at a potential sighting when "buddy" drops by and asks " are you looking for a moose?".
He took us down the road to where these three bulls were hanging out.  I expect they were about a mile away, it was late (almost 9:00 p.m.) so I had to boost my ISO up to 6400.
So the next morning was looking pretty positive. I headed out at 6:00 a.m. and went to the same area and managed to find these three boys a little closer to the road.  I parked the van and headed out after them. I got my first shot at about 6:30 a.m.
These three mature bulls are starting to have the "velvet" on their antlers rot. You might see some white markings on their antlers, that means the blood has stopped flowing and the growth has ended.
This is a good shot of the middle guy. His antlers get out a little past his ears and I think he has the nicest of the "bells" of the group. 
Now this is the smallest of the trio. you can see how his antlers basically just clear his ears before they head up and form those great palms. Even though he has the smallest antlers, he is still a VERY healthy, good sized bull!
Here is the Monarch of the group. a very large moose. The breadth of his chest is tremendous. A beautiful example of a quality bull moose. I really enjoyed the time I got to spend with these fine fellas! 
I thought I'd throw a couple more shots in:)

Have a Great wildlife week.

Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment