Tuesday 19 April 2016

Long-tailed Duck, Red-breasted Meganser, Horned Grebe (20160409) A trip to the spit!

Anytime I make it Toronto the Leslie Street Spit home of Tommy Thompson Park is on the agenda. It is a little frustrating how they close it through the week and often on the weekends too. Since my first visit a couple of years ago I have become addicted! I started this walk by meeting a local birder Steve Pidgeon (no kidding) as we shared a look at this Pied Billed Grebe.
I also managed to grab this swift fly-by of a male Red-breasted Merganser.
Of course the Red-winged Blackbirds were out in force, a definite sign of spring.
Next up here is the real purpose of my visit. I was hoping that the Long-tailed ducks would still be here and in full breeding plummage. While not fully transitioned, they were starting to show some changes.
There were quite a few Horned Grebes visible around as well. I don't often get to post images of these birds. The bonus here was the fish that it had caught.
I'll add a second image here as, for the first time, I have been able to see the yellow in the eyes of these birds.
As this was my first view of a Tree Swallow for the year, I thought I would include a shot here.
Here is a LTD with a little more breeding colouration.
Here is a nice looking pair, she looks like she is ready to head north in her "new look" along with her man.
Here are a couple of close up of these beautiful ducks. First up is one of the ladies.
And here is her partner. I love these ducks not just for their colouring and personality, but for being so accommodating!
The end of my day provided me a few additional opportunities with some more Red-breasted birds.
Certainly the best day I have ever had with those birds.
I was also on the lookout for a mink or two. The one I did manage to spot was quite a distance off and on the move so no opportunties were provided. It was a short time I had to re-visit this beautiful spot so that will be the end of this post.
Put some "wild" in your life, it'll do you good!
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment