Sunday 3 February 2013

Crayfish while on my First ice fishing trip in a year. (20130202)

My buddy Sheldon sent me a BBM message asking if I was interested in going down to the cabin for a day of fishing?  I was in  "like a dirty shirt"! I haven't been ice fishing since the trip to Quesnel last year, and it was supposed to be a stellar day, so I jumped at the chance. We headed out Friday night, arrived at "the cabin" had some "pops" and were off to bed. Up at 6:30, coffee made, tea made, loaded up and off to the lake. We spotted about 30 mule deer on the way over to "the spot". We got set up.
The weather was FABULOUS, and, as this was Ground Hog day, it is not hard to tell that the little furry prognosticator was sent back into his hole for 6 more weeks of winter! Here is a shot of an outfit I have been using for about 20 years now.
I was super impressed with Sheldon's new "pop up" fish shack, it was to notch! Large, comfortable, heater friendly, and spacious. His mother got it for him for his birthday, which I believe to be VERY THOUGHTFUL! Here is the man with his momma's gift.
I thought I'd throw in some of the rest of his toys. I really like the colours in this shot.
We had a bit of a run between 10 and 11 in the morning. Sheldon landed the first pike of the day and I managed two more before the lines went totally still.
At 1:30 we picked up camp and moved to what we thought were ideal Walleye conditions, but nothing would "take the bait". Sheldon did also manage to land two nice crayfish. This ones claws were blue.
I believe that these are more common in warmer waters like Florida. It is the first that I have seen with this genetic make up.
That pretty well wrapped up our day, unless you include a typical prairie sunset. I like the colour varations from the top of the photo, through to the bottom.
I hope everyone has a great wildlife Ground Hog day!
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment