Saturday 6 April 2013

Northern Hawk Owl (20130405)

There are those days when you just have to take care of business. So I left the house for a meeting with the bank, anticipating doing a bunch of chores like laundry (Dry Cleaning), getting some lights for the downstairs washroom, and other various and sundry things (like gas up the truck).  Then if I had time I was going to inspect the Ruffed Grouse drumming log.  All is good with the plan, right? Well then "things happen". I am sitting with the banker and my phone rings, it is Laura at the Cross, the Northern Hawk Owl has reappeared. I told her I would be there in 40 minutes. So I headed out with great anticipation, this would be the third different NHO in the last 8 days, I usually see one a year :)
I could see him as soon as I pulled into the parking lot at the Cross. I "casually" walked passed him and grabbed a few shots.
I spent about an hour with this guy, and eventually even grabbed a flight shot. But it was terrible light.
Part of the initial plan was to try and get a shot of a "drumming grouse", so I headed over to the spot we found on Sunday with the anticipation that I might be able to find him drumming. No luck, but here is a shot of the "drumming log".
Through my travels, I had connected up with Kerri and thought she might like to see the NHO has she only has one so far. So I made arrangements to meet her. Our owl was nowhere to be seen when we arrived, so we took a little stroll on the Aspen Trail. It was a very quite evening for critters, and the wind was pretty brisk. We did find the owl when we were getting ready to leave, but he was long way off. I grabbed this shot of the female Bluebird.  I want to label this "who wants to use Mascara anyway?"
Not a bad outing for a day of doing "chores" :)  I hope everyone's weekend get tied up with chores like this.

Turbo
ps: I have been left a comment that I should thank Christina, who happens to no longer be with the Cross, for reminding the staff to call me when the owl showed up. Thanks Christina! I hope you enjoy the shots!

1 comment:

  1. Great story Paul. You can thank Christina for reminding us to call.

    ReplyDelete