Sunday 15 December 2013

Great Horned's, Downey, Chickadee (2013121) A quick trip to FCPP

The light was great this afternoon so I thought I would take a quick walk down at FCPP, hoping to see the GHO's and get a couple of shots. I found one right away.
It took me quite a while to actually find the mate as it was quite a distance further up the trail, but a little more out  in the open. This is a very light colouration for this owl, one passerby thought it was a Snowy :)
Having been so successful with the first pair, I thought I would check on the seond local pair and see if they were perched in their normal area.  Sure enough they were there in there regular location. This is the first time this year that I have been able to see them in this spot, but they have been  in this same area for the past several years.
So I was feeling pretty good and the light was holding so I headed out looking for some smaller birds. I had the good fortune to find a spot where someone had left out some seed, and found this beautiful male Downy Woodpecker.
He was a terrific subject, but quickly disappeared. He had a lady friend as well but she would never come out in to the open, so I will post a second shot of him.
There were also a small mob of Chickadees that were flitting in and out. As frequent visitors know I love these little birds.
It can be tough to "catch" these birds as they don't hang around very long. They grab their seeds and vacate.
I love it when I can find a couple of coopertive birds when the sun is out. I hope that everyone has had a chance to get out and enjoy the outdoors this weekend!
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment