Wednesday 25 December 2013

Ice storm images (20131223) Christmas in Ontario

The bride and I went to visit our son, daughter-in-law, and first grandchild for Christmas this year. There were concerns regarding our travel plans as Ontario was being hit hard by freezing rain. We arrived late and could still see the affects as we drove to his place. In the afternoon of the 23rd there was some brilliant sun so I ventured out. Frequent visitors here to the blog will note that you don't get a lot of "landscape" shots but this is a rare opportunity to see this side of nature. A shot of one of his Cedars.
There was ice everywhere, and on everything. The trees were coated most thoroughly.
I was surprized when reviewing my images (I took over 500 in a short walk) to find this fence and the effects of the light and ice. Had I been actively reviewing I probably would have gone back and focuessed more on the fence and take some more shots.
I like how each indiviual pine needle received the "icing" treatment in this shot.
The tops of many trees, like this Maple have been snapped off under the weight of the ice.
It was nice when you could find some colour to emphasis the ice coating it had received. This bench really caught my eye.
The red fruit stocks at the branch ends of this tree looked great, I was very grateful to find some reds to hightlight.
I was able to frind a little fruit still on a tree. Again the reds look terrific (in my humble opinion) so I had to take the shot. This image really shows how much ice was built up on even the smallest of branches.

Some beautiful images of a wicked winter storm here in Ontario. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I don't know what I will find here to shoot for wildlife, but you can bet I will be on the hunt:)
Turbo

3 comments:

  1. Wow Paul these are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kerri. I had very little to do with it:) I just took some shots.
    Turbo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shots! I love your pic with the berries.
    There was a lot of weather activity in Ontario this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete