Tuesday 5 June 2012

Goldfinch, Harrier, Rosebreastred Grosbeak, Ruffed Grouse, Great Grey Owl ASCCA-June 2

I was waiting for my "steward Shadow", new trail stewards need to shadow a regular steward once or twice before they can book their own patrols, when I grabbed this shot of an American Goldfinch.
Just minutes later this Northern Harrier appeared. Probably my best shot of one of these to date.
After a couple of Bluebirds and well along the Aspen Trail I heard a song that I followed to find this find gentleman; a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. I haven't seen one for 30 years so things were going pretty well.
At the first set of washrooms this Robin has a nest so she was not too pleased that we disturbed her.
Up the hill towards the Pine Creek trail I spotted this Ruffed grouse on a log, I was hoping to see some drumming, but no luck. In under the trees in the early morning on an overcast day makes for tough light.
Over the ridge and across tehopen field and we spotted our only Elk o fthe day, this cow has probably just dropped her calf and is keeping is safe until it is able to run with the herd.
Down through the trees we spotted a Flycatcher, and as we broke intot he open we spotted 3 deer. As we made our way along Pine Creek another deer crossed the path behind us, and we spied this great Grey owl, the first I have ever seen at ASCCA.
A short time later we found a male Pileated Woodpecker and the RedTail Hawks strted their shrieking and letting their presence be known. The next group of critters were actually butterflies.
Again, I don't know the names of any of these, and if anyone could assist with their names I would be greatly appreciative. This next fellow was really quite small probably only 3cm.
I actually spun this guy a full 180, as he was hanging upside down, another small unit.
This fellow was a little larger,
Then ther was this one.
And one final butterfly for the day, I know none of the names of these beauties so help is appreciated.
Wait, wait, wait, there is one more, unbelievable.
That pretty much wrapped up our day. We did see another Northern Harrier as we crossed the last field to head home, may have even been the same one from earlier in the day.  A couple of firsts out at the Cross.  Have a Great week everyone!

Turbo








No comments:

Post a Comment