Friday 8 June 2012

Roughwinged Swallow, House Wren, Catbird, Cedar Waxwings June 3 Sunday walk.

The morning started off with me having a mjor challenge in finding the meeting place, but I got there with a little instruction from Dan. While we were gathering there was a Merlin spotted flying into a nearby tree, had to go an check it out. The worst possible positioning, on the wrong side of the tree and in a pretty crowded neighbourhood, so you take what you get.
Every now and then you cna find one of these Spruce trees that are producing these Pollination cones.  Pretty unique, and great colouring.
We had heard some Catbirds and found some Cedar waxwings but couldn't get any eyes on the Water Thrush that someone was certain they heard:)  I grabbed a couple of shots of these Northern Rough Winged swallows, my first really good look at them.
The House Wrens were singing everywhere.
The yellow Warblers were everywhere, as wre the Clay coloured Sparrows, we ventured over to the Osprey nest and found a Spotted Sandpiper and a Mallard hen with 8 new chicks. Even the Chickadees are starting to re-appear and come to get seeds.
Are more Yellow Warblers, I got my first good looks at a Grey Catbird, apparently they meow?
They look very much like a Robin in size and wing position from the bakc or side, but they have that little dark grey cap. There were alot of birds on the way out, but I thought I would leave you with a couple of shots of female Cedar Waxwings.
They gave us some pretty good photo opps on the way back to the vehicles.
I hope you enjoyed the week. 
As June rolls around I will begin the search for some Grizzley's. So keep tuned.

Turbo





No comments:

Post a Comment