Friday 1 June 2012

Yellowbellied Sapsucker, Brown headed Cowbird Calgary May birdcount. May 26, 2012 (part 1)

Dan requested that that the old deaf guy help him out on his May Birdcount route, so I was standing on the bridge in FCPP @ 5:00 am looking for Dan. We got strted with a couple of House Wrens, then we hear this guy hammering on the No Parking sign, a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker.
We (mostly Dan) were hearing birds pretty consistently.  Spotted some Spotted Sandpipers and found this guy slowly walking upstream against the current.
We found Cedar Waxwings, Song Sparrows, Yellow Warblers, Baltimore Orioles and even a variety of Fly Catchers.  I believe that this is a Flycatcher. While not a fly, something in its mouth.
More Orioles, Flycathers and Warblers, then we found this female Brown Headed Cowbird.
My first ever Woods Pewee, then we found one of our mother owls feeding two of her chicks.  I will do a separate Owl posting later.  We continued with Gopldfinches, Shovelers, geese, swallows and Swainsons.  I thought that I would throw this shot of a RWBB put the chase to a Swainson.
We continued spotting ducks and King birds, and many other of our feathered friends then we found this female Merganser on this broken off tree. A first for either Dan or I.

Well I think that I will wrap this post up on this note and contine tomorrow, or later on. There is quite a bit more to come. We counted 70 different specie and were very surprised at some of the birds we didn't see.
Take care,
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment