Tuesday 19 June 2012

Father's Day afternoon. Where did this weather come from?

So Jamie met me at my place and we looked at my morning shots while I scarfed down a beer and a couple of pieces of left over pizza from Friday night. Then we headed off for the "blind experiment".
Jamie had never shot from a blind and didn't know what it would be like, so I thought we would head out south of town to where I thought wemight find a water bird or two.
We are cruising out to where I wanted to head, and we get to the spot, we creeped through the area noting all the birds that flew off, including a GHO that was right under our noses! We swung over to where the owl went but couldn't find him. There were some Earred Grebes in the area and Jamie wanted to grab some shots, so we set up the blind.
These can be very difficult birds to shoot due to their bright orange/red eye.
The Wilson's Phalarope are great birds to get a chance to shoot.
The first of two storms blew through and we had to ahang onto the blind for dear life. But it was great and proved it's worth as the rain pelted down and we stayed nice and dry inside. We had been waiting for the Black Neck Stilt to drop by closer, but he didn't really get into range.
There were several Black turns hovering over the pond, but the cameras seemed to have a very hard time autofocusing on them, I don't know why. This is a very poor shot, but I had to post something.
We managed to grab a few shots of this Muskrat that was swimming nearby, he has some nice looking salad in tow.
On the way home we just missed getting this Swainson's Hawk with is wings spread out drying.
After I got home I nailed this American goldfinch in the neighbours yard.
Along with him there were some house Finches, like this youngster, just begging to be fed.
And, here is Dad, looking pretty ragged. I guess birds don't observe Father's Day:)
I hope that everyone had a great weekend. I look forward to the next "session"!

Turbo









No comments:

Post a Comment