Tuesday 17 July 2012

Least Weasels 120715

Up early waiting for Tim, 5:00 a.m. pick up, a very promising morning as the heat has just broken and there should be a little activity around.  Things wre brutally slow, a deer here a hawk there and all the hot spots were ice cold.  I mentioned to Tim that there was giong to be an "event" sometime this morning as I have never been this "dry" for years.  Then at 7:50, we spotted this movement in the middle of the road:
Once I got out of the truck I knew exactly what they were, even though I had neve seen them before. It was mom and 5 Least Weasel kittens. They are quite the carnivore, the smallest in North America.
Mom is the lighter brown one, and is probably 7.5 inches long, the kittens are almost the same length. The "doggie pile" wah hilarious to see! She tried to guide them off the road and they hung as tight to her as any youngseter I have ever seen in the wild.
Everything happened so fast that I had no time to even think about adjsting settings. A real treat for us.  Once they got to the grass wewent over to see where they went and they basically disappeared.
One climbed over Tim's boot. Here is a out of focus shot of them reaching hte grass edge.
It was just a terrific experience for the pair of us! the enounter made thw whole day worthwhile!
After that little escapade we managed to find a few more subjects thate were willing to pose for us.
Gotta love the colours!
The whole spectrum!
Well that wrapped up our Sunday morning drive.  I hope everyone has a GREAT wildlife week!
Turbo




No comments:

Post a Comment