Wednesday 4 July 2012

Return to the Grebe nests 120702

Saturday morning Tuim and I found three Earred Grebe nests with photography range of the road, so we thought Monday night would be a good evening to check and see if the the Chicks were out and about yet. We were on a mission, as we had the blind in the truck and we had planned to sit for an hour, get our shots and vamoose! Booming along the highway when this bird, standing in the middle of the road caught my attention.
Only the second time that I've seen a Long Billed Curlew. Managed to grab a couple of images of this bird, much better quality than three years ago:)
As our target was the Grebe's you will get a couple of shots of them.
Their eyes are very difficult to get a great shot of due to all the red/orange in the area.
I believe all three nests had four eggs in them. you can see how her belly feathers are worn away.
The other item I find neat is how low they carry themselves in the water. They look like they should be tiny on land.
On the way home we found this Meadowlark staying low and out of the wind. Grandma, my what large feet you have.
First Coyote that I have seen in the daylight for awhile.
Next is perhaps my best ever raptor shot to-date. I cannot believe how deep this hawk's eyes look.
And another decent Snipe shot. It was a pretty good evening all in all.
Back home and already thinking of Thursday night, and the Grizz hunt. With Parade day being this Friday Calgary shuts down (Stampede) so this was a three day week.
I hope eveyone out there has a terrific week, I know that I will!
Turbo






No comments:

Post a Comment