Friday 5 February 2016

Pileated, Nuthatch, Dove (20160128) A visit to Uniacke Estates.

It is time to do a little more exploring around the new place so I decide to take one of the trails at Uniacke Estate Museum .  There is a Map ove the various trails available here. This is one of the Signs that are on the property.
I wasn't on the property very long before I managed to find a subject to shoot. This Dove was just enjoying the morning sun!
I was surprised by the number of squirrels in the area, they seemed to be everywhere. They would be scurrying about hither, thither and yon.  I grabbed this quick image.
I was on the Red Spruce trail, it is known for the presence of winter birds so I was hoping to find some that haven't put in an appearance at the house yet.
I didn't really find any but this Red Breasted Nuthatch, and it was way up in a tree. He was a little shy.
There had been reports of a Blackbacked Woodpecker in the trail so I was hopeful of finding it. I heard some soft tapping and after about a 12 minute search I was able to find this little downy male.
While disappointing it was still a great encounter as the anticipation was super! On my way out and headed back to the car I was shaken by a very close by Woody call.
It took me a couple of minutes to get him in a nice clear postion, Then he stopped and did a little preening.
Then it was like he felt me there and gave me the look! He didn't stop, he just look at me very grumpily.
 What a great facility! A place with many environments to investigate, I will be back to put more "wild" in my life.
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment