Thursday 23 May 2013

Grebes, Rainbows, Red Naped Sapsucker, Calliope Hummer on Fishing day two Rainbows (20130519)

This was looking to be the most pleasant day of the weekend for us, with a little sun available to shine. The Spotty's do like to hang out on the logs.
We played coyly with this group of Horned Grebes with the goal of getting close enough for a decent shot. I am afraid this is the best I could muster.
We were doing quite well with the Rainbows, some of them were putting on their spawning colours for us. Now no peeking at my secret lure, it treated me very well yesterday and again on this day. Size wise, this fish would weigh in at about two pounds.
As we cruised around the lake we found this immature Bald Eagle, coming in for a landing.
If there was ever any question why these are called Rainbow's, this should provide the answer.
It certainly was nice to have a little light to be able to show these beauties off.  Once again please keep your eyes closed when it comes to our secret "baits". I have been using these since 1984 when I was fishing 'bows in the Yukon. This is a female.
Okay, okay, enough about the fish! Ken was surprized to find out that the Eagle's nest had been taken over by Canada Geese, he was unaware  that they nested in trees when the opportunity presents itself.  We know this because we were buzzed by 5 geese, I was able to grab a couple of shots.
Another nice looking duck that made it self known on the lake was this drake Barrows Goldeneye.
We probably landed 30-40 fish keeping only 7. Ken has mastered the "hands free long line release" :)
Back at the house while we were sitting around having a beverage I noticed this Red Naped Sapsucker at one of Ken's neighbours. So I grabbed the camera and went to see if I could get something printable.
I think it is a great illustration of how they drill little holes for the trees sap to gather in, then they come along and lap it up. I'll finish this post up with a late evening image of one of the local Hummers.
These are tiny little birds!
We wrapped up the day finishing our second batch of smoked fish, so I will be going home with a little something to eat. I hope everyone is have a great wildlife weekend!
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment