Saturday 31 March 2012

Evening Tour

Picked Deb's uncle up, we haven't been out much this year so I thought I would drag him along. He is a waterbird guy, but endures my search for mammals. We left town at 5:45 p.m. I was hoping to get to show him some Bluebirds as he has an appreciation for their beauty.  Redtail hawks numbered in the 8-10 range, herd of Elk of about 100, 30-60 deer. We probably found 6-8 Bluebirds, but no acceptable photo's, one mature bald eagle.  I did manage to snap this shot of a Northern Shrike:

After finding our designated moose, we also spotted two more on the way home. The light is poor, but I was shocked to see that this fella still had one of his antlers. This is the last day of March, unbelieveable!
I apologize for the poor quality, but it was getting late. We were quite disappointed that there were limited water birds around. He was hoping to see some mallards, and I was hoping to find a Red Winged Blackbird--true harbingers of spring:)
Some sort of bird hit the truck on the way home, I think it might have been a Snipe. A fair size and it bent my truck antenae.  Tomorrow is the the Sunday morning walk. Will report the results!

Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment