Friday 15 March 2013

Turnstone, Townsend Warbler, Iris for my Final California Post (20130309) Laguna Beach

As we were headed out to Laguna Beach for a walk and "shopping" experience for the girls, now I'm convinced that they addicted :) On the way out to the car before leaving the complex I grabbed a very low light "quick and dirty" shot of my first Orange Crowned Warbler.  The light was pretty brutal.
The White Crowned Sparrows and YRW's were also flitting around.
Down at the beach we got this "crab".
Walking around the beach there were a lot of Willets, and came up with another Newbie. These Surfbirds ( I have been told that this is actually a Black Turnstone) were on the edge of the water amongst the rocks.
This next shot is one of my best of the entire trip, and wouldn't you know it another brand new bird for me. These are very tough to grab a shot of, like most small birds, but I am very pleased with this result. I believe it is a Townsend's Warbler.
I like the bird so much I though that I would include a second :)
Although I have seen this bird previously and even got shots of it earlier on the trip, this is my first posting of the Least Goldfinch. This is another beautiful bird!
So in keeping with the 'All new" theme for this post I thought that I'd include best image of a Brown Pelican.
This is a "comeback" bird for me as well. The colours on this bird were fabulous. It is very unfortunate that this was taken in such poor light!
There were also new flowers, and this beauty was just sitting in a spot with a terrific backdrop. I expect it is some form of Orchid, maybe not, it was just past its prime. Still good enough for a quick snap.
There are a lot of different lizards here so I don't know if I've posted a shot of this specie before of not. Anyway here goes, this would be the only duplicate on the post (I think).
So that wraps up the Laguna Beach stroll, and the first California trip. We will be back, I guess I have to thank Arnold for that :)  All in all a total of 36 brand new sightings for me, a tremendous visit.
Well it is Friday night here in Calgary and trying to decide what to do tomorrow, but I am certain that photos will be involved. I hope everyone has a great wildlife weekend!!!
Turbo

ps: If you check in again Amy please send me an email nb2ab@shaw.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment