Saturday 1 June 2013

Grizzly, Whitecrowned Sparrow, Snowshoe Hare on our First Grizz run of the year.(20130601)

We have had a cool, damp and even snowy spring so i have delayed looking for bears just yet. Out of the house at 4:45 a.m. flying solo, pick up brekkies and on the road. It was looking  like fine day and I was hoping that the bears would be out and feeding. The "out" part was right, but they were very all very skittish.
This little unit was spooky and jumpy. It was just starting to settle down with me in the area when some hot-dogger came buzzing through and finally saw the bear, but it was on the move.
I believe on a nice dry sunny day this would be a beautiful representation of the "grizzled" bear that it was named to be. Just up the road I grabbed this image of a whitetail buck, his velvet start shows a promising width to this years set of antlers.
On one of the main side roads I found these two jokers, the first is a White crowned Sparrow, it might even be one that we saw in California earlier this year:)
This second guy is a Chipping Sparrow I believe. They came pretty close to the truck, I was surprized  actually.
On the same road I was able to find quite a few Varying Hares, this looks like a good year for rabbits as I have not seen this many in all my previous years of being here.
The last item I will post for today is a Columbian Ground Squirrel. On my first pass through the area I only found one, but as the day warmed (it was as cold as -3C for a while) these little creatures were everywhere.
It was a cool but mostly clear morning. It will be a while until the dandelions are at the point of feeding the bears higher up. That is definitely something to look forward to.
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment