Saturday 23 January 2016

Bald eagles, Red-tailed Hawk (20160115) A solo run for Eagles.

A few days after my run with Len the weather was calling for a nice clear morning so I headed out to Sheffield Mills to see if I could get some Eagle shots. I arrived right at the premium time and got set up to watch the action.
There were only about 6 or 7 birds hanging about in the trees.
Eagles were not the only raptors that were in the area. There were at least two Red-tailed Hawks surveying the area. This is where I actually captured my first Red-tailed with my initial digital DSLR set up.
It has been almost 7 years since I first came here with Len to capture these birds. Here is another shot of one of the Red-tails.
With so few Eagles present there was no real feeding frenzy that occurred. The birds took their time to come in and feed at a very leisurely pace.
Of course any time there is something to eat around the Corvids are going to be around looking for a free meal.
While they fly around with the Eagles, the larger birds are certain to let the Raven know that they are not welcome.
The other opportunists that are present at the Great Black-backed Gulls. They can actually get the Eagles to take action and start feeding, if they decide to get too close to the food supply.
It was a great morning. I spoke with some terrific folks while waiting for the action to pick up. I stopped by and had a cup of tea with Mom and headed home.
It just that easy to put a little "wild" in your life. Give it a try!
Turbo

1 comment:

  1. ...beautiful flight shots. My fav is the eagle in the fourth from the bottom. I love the wingspan and the sharp look at the feathers. I try to put a little "wild" in my life too--even if it's just out in the backyard with the neighborhood birds!

    ReplyDelete