Tuesday 29 October 2013

Sheep, deer, elk (20131029) A quick evening cruise.

With the first snow of the year on Saturday night and through Sunday, I thought Monday would be a great day in the woods, especially with some nice sun. I was tied up most the day with meetings and didn't manage to head out until just after 4:00 p.m. It was a beautiful day travelling due west. A Rough Legged was my first spot, then a couple of Bull elk, too far up on a back hill to take photos of. Then I spotted a pair of Bighorn's, believe it or not, they were on a Mountain:)
He turned to look straight on, a very nice ram. Although "tagged" these are wild sheep that are being studied for their range and feeding behaviours.
There were a quite a number of Whitetails out and feeding, but I couldn't find any bucks.
This is a very healthy looking fawn from this year.
I spied these members of a much larger herd on the way in the road, I couldn't see any Bulls present.
On the drive out the road, finally with the sun behind I found the elk herd once again, but they were in a heavily shaded area. They were obviously headed down the hillside for an evening graze, Bull found!
The balance of the trip was uneventful, I believe due to a noisy road situation where there was ice and snow on the road and make for quite a racket as you travelled it. An hour out of the door and able to find wildlife like this, Calgary is the place to do a Track!
Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment