Monday 26 September 2016

Katydid, Caterpillars, Snapper Babies, (20160924) Clarence and I take a stroll.

One of the locals has sent me a photo of a fresh-out-of-the-egg baby snapper climbing out of its nest hole. With an enticement like that Clarence and I hit the tracks hoping to find more stragglers. Our first encounter was not direct wildlife, but the results thereof. This honeycomb, which Clarence assures me is of the Honeybee, was likely left on thetracks by a raiding raccoon.
Not too far along our journey I took a couple of shots of this beautiful Wooly Bear. It was the second of these we spotted.
Our next siting that I captured was this beautiful Katydid.
As this is a Blog first here is a second angle of this new to me creature. For those that are not familiar this is a fairly large insect, that when it first landed I took for some sort of a Grasshopper. Take a little time and look up the is little creature.
On our stroll back down the tracks Clarence did spot this little unit struggling along between the rails.
Clarence was pretty taken with the little guy and refuse to let me be his transport. I took this image of his underside. What I really enjoy is the eyes of these incredible creatures.
I am amazed at how well they represent their parents in every detail, save some algae, so accurately! We also found a number of these beauties buzzing about.
When we arrived at our "release point" I couldn't help but notice this yound maple sprouting from a rotting log.
We also had a little buddy for our Snapper. This is one of three little Green Frogs that live in the area.
Here is our little buddy on the release log. We hung around for a while to see that he made the water okay. While we were wating I happened to spot another baby Snapper in the water. That sighting made my entire season! I cropped this image and left the subject high so that you could see his shadow on the log.
We wrapped the evening up with this American Dagger Moth.
Then there was this Fingered Dagger Moth caterpiller.
As I finish up this post I will toss in a couple of images of a very large male Snapper crossing over the tracks from the pond to the lake.
This is quite easily the largest turtle I have ever had the privilege to run across.
I am certian that he was large enough to cover the top of a garbage can.
He looked to be at least 8 inches thick, and I just love those front foot CLAWS!
This critter could be 60 or 70 years old. Just a magestic "Nova Scotia Grizzly"!
Take some time and put some "wild" in your life!
Turbo




No comments:

Post a Comment